Monday, January 22, 2018

Starting A New Movie Review Blog and You're Invited

I have been lax on getting reviews published this month due in part to other projects I'm working on, and now I've apparently lost my mind in wanting to start another movie review blog?

Well I'll have you know I lost my mind long before this. Uhm, wait, that didn't sound right.

In all actuality I had started a blog to use as the grassroots indie film blog I've written about on this here blog. It's primary purpose was to help indie filmmakers reach out to reviewers by providing a directory of reviewers as well a screeners newsletter to be emailed to reviewers. Well a filmmaker and myself joined forces to combine our ideas into a single blog, and I had already come to the conclusion that the one Blogger blog I had set up was not going to be able to do what I wanted to do.

While we have been occupied with getting the joint venture blog up and running, I have an unused blog sitting there. Being I've already set it up as an indie film blog, why not turn it into a review blog and let others post their reviews there?

I think it is most ideal for those reviewers who use social media to post their reviews, whether because you don't want to bother with your own blog or because you've never used a blog before and the prospect seems daunting. Of course any reviewer is welcome to join the new blog. I'll update everyone with the blog address in about 2-3 weeks.

I'm rather informal in how I run things and especially don't like asking anyone to go out on a limb, jump through hoops or pick your comparison.

The new blog will not have a standardized ratings system. That means bring your own ratings system you've been using and are most comfortable using, or none at all if you don't use a ratings system. Though I did think of standardizing a ratings system, how someone reviews films in a personal choice and trying to make someone change the way they review I feel will cramp their style.

Obviously this may cause a little confusion on the part of a reader. I have set up a review ratings page where I will list every reviewer's ratings system, if they have one. I think most reviewers give an idea anyway what their rating means.

You're not on your own. If you are experiencing any difficulty in formatting your post, getting images in your posts, or especially getting them where you want them, ask me and I'll help.

You post for a while and decide you want to do this on your own blog? Super! If you need any help getting your own blog up and running I'll be happy to lend a hand, and I'll even link to you and post about it on my social media to help get you some traffic.

You haven't reviewed indie films before? Well, they're movies; I'm sure you've heard of those. I've seen films from 2 minutes long to... infinity and beyond! Well, long movies. With budgets from $100 to several hundred thousand. Most of the films that will apply to the goals of this blog will have been made under $100,000 as a budget. This is the grassroots level of independent films. Compared to Hollywood films this is not even the cost of a day's work, but you'll be amazed at what talent and determination can accomplish.

Don't know where to find them? That's why I'm here. Bring your own indie films to review or I'll be happy to put you in touch with filmmakers and provide screeners (a 'for review' copy of the film) for you to review.

If this interests you, contact me on my Twitter or Facebook page or you can email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment