Friday, October 27, 2017

Movie Review: What Jack Built (2015)

What Jack Built (2015) - USA - Mystery Thriller - Not Rated (Family)
Independent Short Subject - 8mm Films - 11 Mins
Directed by Matthew Mahler
Written by Matthew Mahler and Ross Mahler
Starring Timothy J. Cox


Loud and proud in its score with a hint of pastiche to 80s future noir What Jack Built is an energetic ride with an obsessed driver at the wheel.

*Since the filmmakers don't have a movie poster for this film, I made one. Being the screencap I used belongs to the filmmakers and all I did was add the obvious text, as far as I'm concerned the poster image belongs to them to use as they wish.

Jack has an obsession, with something. He's a packrat with all sorts of goodies scattered about his workshop. Monitors here, keyboards and parts there ...electronics and paint cans and gizmos, oh my! It seems Jack has everything, yet one thing eludes him; and that one thing frightens him too. Jack has a plan to get that one thing, but he has to build something first.

Though this is the first review I am doing of a film starring Timothy J. Cox, I am no stranger to his work as an actor. If you are into indie film you will eventually come across the work of Timothy J. Cox, dubbed 'the hardest working actor in indie film'. I am no stranger to the work of Matthew Mahler either and frankly consider him one of the most artistic and promising directors today.

Cox and Mahler working together is certainly fitting as Mahler drives a narrative of sight and sound, devoid of dialogue. Cox is a wonderful actor and among his strengths is a talent with body language and expression. Mahler and Cox working together is a marriage made in filmmaking heaven

Matthew Mahler has scored this film himself with vibes that hint at 80s sci-fi movies, to me, but is its own original composition. Timothy J. Cox has fun with this role both with spot on moments, and moments of chewing the scenery; and that's talented when you can chew the scenery without uttering a word.

Mahler's composition of scenes is contained. By this I mean his scenes are full and rich, but he does not let that distract from his focus. With Cox's performance, this additionally keeps the focus as it would be hard to not keep your eyes on Cox. I do feel that the story is a bit ambiguous, for me, but some do like that ambiguity of filling in blanks for themselves, and certainly if that's you, you can have a lot of fun with this one.

The music in this is four times louder than it needs to be. Leaving my media player settings at normal and putting on my headphones results in what I call screaming critic syndrome. The volume is not bad if you're using speakers because you can be assured to have room filling sound. But this is a word of caution to those who also might use headphones.

My Rating: 4 Fingers

You can watch What Jack Built and other of Matthew Mahler's work on Vimeo

For more on Timothy J. Cox visit his Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment